« The Saturday Simmer: Vegetarian curry recipes | Main | The Saturday Simmer: Baked potato soup recipes »

March 1, 2014

The Saturday Simmer: Pressure cooker soup, stew and chili recipes

Pressure cooker black bean soup, from Jeanette's Healthy Living (on Soup Chick).

It's no secret to readers of The Perfect Pantry that I'm now the proud, if more than a little bit trepidacious, owner of a new electric pressure cooker. I'm still in the early stages of experimentation, but fortunately some wonderful food bloggers have created great recipes to teach me the ropes. This pressure cooker Cuban black bean soup, from Jeanette's Healthy Living, zoomed to the top of my list when I discovered a forgotten stash of dry black beans in my pantry. I still have so much to learn about this piece of equipment, but pressure cookers are so popular in other parts of the world that I'm motivated to put it to work in my own kitchen.

Lots of soup, stew and chili recipes for the pressure cooker caught my eye this week:

Beef stew in the pressure cooker, from Never Enough Thyme

Pressure cooker Cuban black bean soup, from Jeanette's Healthy Living

French pork stew with white beans, from Not Without Salt

Pressure cooker recipe for pinto bean and ground beef stew with cumin and cilantro, from Kalyn's Kitchen

Pressure cooker white bean chili frito pie, from Steamy Kitchen

Split pea soup with chicken sausage, from Pressure Cooking Today

Cream of stinging nettle soup, from Herbivoracious

Pork belly and preserved lemon stew, from No Recipes

Lentil soup with coriander and cumin, from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Jamaican goat curry, from Simply Recipes

Summer lentil and millet chili, from The Kitchenarian

Which will you try first? What intrigues you? Please leave feedback on the original recipe post, and let us know if you've made or adapted any of these recipes. See you next Saturday, and every Saturday, with more soups, stews and chili.

[All photos used with permission.]

Comments

Posted by: KalynsKitchen | March 1, 2014 at 08:49 AM

Yaay for the pressure cooker! I am using mine today.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | March 1, 2014 at 08:56 AM

Kalyn, I'm using mine today, too.

Posted by: Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living | March 1, 2014 at 09:17 AM

I've been loving my pressure cooker. Can't believe it took me so long to finally learn how to use it. It's so easy. I use it to make beans a lot (I made chickpeas and cannellini beans this week) and just made a 5 minute hashed brown this morning for my kids before one of them left for work (not crispy, but good when you're short on time). I have to say it's made me a bit lazy some days because I know I can whip up dinner in 20 minutes if I need to.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | March 1, 2014 at 09:21 AM

Jeanette, I've taken to calling the pressure cooker my "fast cooker", as opposed to the slow cooker. Helps me remember one of its main benefits -- speed!

Posted by: Barbara @ Barbara Bakes | March 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I'll look forward to all the wonderful soups you're whipping up in your new pressure cooker. It really is perfect for soups. Thanks for including my recipe in your list of soups to try.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | March 1, 2014 at 02:29 PM

Barbara, I'm learning so much from your Pressure Cooking Today blog.