« The Saturday Simmer: Turkey meatball soup recipes | Main | The Saturday Simmer: Butternut squash soup recipes »

September 28, 2013

The Saturday Simmer: Chili recipes for tailgate parties

Boozy beef chili, from Food Blogga.

I know, I know. When you're dining al fresco in the football stadium parking lot, you're supposed to fire up the hibachi and grill hot dogs or brats, or something that tastes better when you wash it down with a beer while keeping your hands warm at the same time. I think what tastes best with beer is chili, and if you've got the hibachi going, why not warm up a pot of chili brought from home? Or, if tailgate dining isn't your plan, make this boozy beef chili (pictured above) from Food Blogga, and serve it in the comfort of your family room while the game is on TV. Or don't watch the game, and just make chili. Who's to know?

These chili recipes caught my eye. You can usually substitute turkey or chicken or different types of beans, to make these recipes just the way you like them:

Cincinnati chili, from The Kitchn

President Obama's chili recipe, from The Perfect Pantry

Gluten-free chicken chili with white beans, sweet potato and lime, from Gluten-Free Goddess

Boozy beef chili, from Food Blogga

Vegan lentil chili with roasted red peppers, olives, and green onion, from Kalyn's Kitchen

Super Bowl chipotle chili con carne, from Just a Taste

Black bean turkey chili, from Simply Recipes

Simple hearty white chili, from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Slow cooker black bean lamb chili, from Eclectic Recipes

Thick and hearty pinto bean chili, from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Which will you try first? What intrigues you? Please leave feedback on the original recipe post, and let us know if you've made or adapted any of these recipes. See you next Saturday, and every Saturday, with more soups, stews and chili.

[All photos used with permission.]

Comments

Posted by: Jeanette | September 28, 2013 at 01:46 AM

I'm always looking for good chili recipes Lydia - great roundup!

Posted by: Super Soup Lover J-Boy | September 28, 2013 at 05:45 AM

Mmmm, I always love a good chili. Great Saturday feature. I am really loving these Saturday feature emails I get Friday night. They bring me joy. Thank you for all that you do here dear. You're simply fabulous. These are some great recipe shares but the one that really caught my eye is the vegan lentil one. I have done vegan and lentil chili but never thought about adding olives, what a nice touch. The mix of ingredients and flavors seem really nice. I love roasted red peppers too. I would love to, at some point, see some 7 soups on Saturday selected veggie soups, like pick 1 veggie as the main theme and recipes to follow(example: squash; carrot; broccoli; potato; etc. soups) Right now carrot soups are really appealing to me and squash too.

Posted by: Kalyn | September 28, 2013 at 09:02 AM

I've been thinking about chili this week!

Posted by: Satonahat | September 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Here to all my friends in the Midwest that attend lots of football games - this looks delicious -- thanks

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 28, 2013 at 04:02 PM

Jeanette, hope you find something new here.

Soup Lover, if you look in the right column under Seven Soups Every Saturday, you're likely to find many of those single-vegetable recipe collections you're looking for.

Kalyn, it's the weather. Cool weather, time to make chili!

Satonahat, I'm not a football fan, but I always associate chili with football. Don't know why!

Posted by: Super Soup Lover J-Boy | October 2, 2013 at 07:26 AM

Wow Lydia thanks for the navigation info. I am still learning to work on viewing as much of your site as I can. There is SO MUCH great stuff to read here. This website is just brilliant, you put a lot of love, work and heart into everything here and all your shares. Thank you SO much. Be prepared to get annoyed hearing this because I am sure I will be saying it a lot! Smile. You're fabulous!