« And we're back, almost. | Main | The Saturday Simmer: Recipes for soups and stews with chard »

September 7, 2013

The Saturday Simmer: End-of-summer garden tomato soup recipes

Roasted tomato basil soup, from Family Fresh Cooking.

My friend Sarah, whose birthday is today, has the greenest thumb I've ever seen. In her honor, and in honor of her prolific, postage-stamp-size garden in the Berkeley Community Garden in Boston, I've searched out soups made with end-of-summer garden tomatoes. Whether you roast your tomatoes, as in the rustic roasted tomato basil soup (pictured above) from Family Fresh Cooking, or skin and seed them and toss the pulp directly into the soup pot, you'll find that soups made with fresh garden tomatoes are more than worth the little bit of extra work. So, grab up those end-of-summer tomatoes in your garden (or at the local farm stand).

These soup recipes made with fresh tomatoes caught my eye. Most are vegetarian or vegan, or can be adapted easily:

Rustic roasted tomato basil soup, from Family Fresh Cooking

Fresh tomato soup with mascarpone, from Love and Olive Oil

Roasted tomato soup with corn salsa, from David Lebovitz

Egyptian tomato soup, from The Kitchn

Roasted tomato and thyme soup, from The Sophisticated Gourmet

Heirloom tomato soup, from Marin Mama Cooks

Roasted tomato soup with broiled cheddar, from Smitten Kitchen

Gazpacho, from Simply Recipes

Grilled tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons, from Panini Happy

Vietnamese crab and tomato noodle soup, from Gastronomy

Light tomato coconut soup, from eCurry

Which will you try first? What intrigues you? Please leave feedback on the original recipe post, and let us know if you've made or adapted any of these recipes. See you next Saturday, and every Saturday, with more soups, stews and chili.

[All photos used with permission.]

Comments

Posted by: Tony Molledo | September 7, 2013 at 07:16 AM

I'm sure happy to see this back!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 7, 2013 at 07:24 AM

Tony, thank you!

Posted by: Alyce Morgan | September 7, 2013 at 09:04 AM

Beautiful tomatoes! Welcome back, Lydia:)

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 7, 2013 at 09:06 AM

Alyce, thanks! Lots of soups, stews and chili to come.

Posted by: Kalyn | September 7, 2013 at 09:11 AM

I do have a good-sized bowl of tomatoes on my counter, so maybe I have enough to make some soup!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 7, 2013 at 09:13 AM

Kalyn, I am making soup today, too, with a few garden tomatoes a friend dropped off earlier this week. I'm going to put them through the food mill to remove the seeds and skins, then toss them into a slow cooker with anything else I can find! I've got some zucchini, escarole, lettuce, potatoes, mushrooms....

Posted by: Jeanette | September 7, 2013 at 09:24 AM

I'm making soup for a friend this weekend, so this is great Lydia. That Light Tomato Coconut Soup is calling my name.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 7, 2013 at 09:51 AM

Jeanette, I'm about to go trolling the neighborhood to see who has extra tomatoes! So many soups I want to try this week.

Posted by: Nancy | September 7, 2013 at 01:46 PM

So happy you are back! Waiting ALL summer!!!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 7, 2013 at 01:52 PM

Nancy, I'm happy to be back with all of you soup lovers!

Posted by: Lauren | September 8, 2013 at 07:41 AM

Since we are drowning in Tomatoes here, We made the Rustic tomato and basil soup last night for dinner. We made a grill cheese to go along the Basil really makes the soup...there was four of us and we scraped the pot clean! Plus it was easy too!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 8, 2013 at 07:49 AM

Lauren, "drowning in tomatoes" sounds good to me, since I didn't put any in my garden this year. Thanks for letting us know about the rustic tomato soup. I thought it sounded wonderful, too.