« Creamy carrot soup recipe: the people's choice | Main | Recipe for turkey sausage meatball noodle soup »

April 7, 2012

Seven soups every Saturday: nut soup recipes

CauliflowerandWalnutSoupOne-2

The whole idea of nut soup: does it seem weird to you? Nuts don't sound smooth, like we expect soup to taste, but don't count them out. Nuts add body, depth, texture, and, well, nuttiness. You'll need your food processor or blender to merge the nuts with other ingredients. The first nut soup I ever tasted was a white gazpacho, thickened with a base of almonds. Nuts in the soup and not just as a garnish -- walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds -- is this idea new to you?

Seven nut soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Cauliflower and walnut cream soup, from One Perfect Bite

Spanish almond soup, from Papawow

Cream of walnut soup, from French Laundry at Home

Chilled yogurt mint and nut soup, from eCurry

Creamy hazelnut soup, from The Passionate Cook

Leek, roots and walnut soup, from Green Gourmet Giraffe

Creamy broccoli-almond soup, from Kahakai Kitchen

Find more delicious nut soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of cauliflower and walnut cream soup by, and used with permission from, One Perfect Bite.]

Comments

Posted by: pam | April 7, 2012 at 07:04 AM

I've never had or used nuts in a soup other than a garnish. I like the idea!

Posted by: Lydia | April 7, 2012 at 07:16 AM

Pam, the nut soup I make most often is African peanut soup. And the "white" gazpacho, that uses almonds. I'm looking forward to trying some of these other variations.

Posted by: Johanna GGG | April 8, 2012 at 06:08 AM

Nuts in soup sounds great to me but I love nuts - I agree with lydia that african peanut soup is the first that I think of - also in vegan cooking, nuts can give a creaminess to replace dairy! Thanks for the link - great theme for soups!

Posted by: Lydia | April 8, 2012 at 09:25 AM

Johanna, that creamy quality of nuts is the real surprise for me. I don't eat nuts on their own very often, but I do love them in cooked dishes.

Posted by: Pattyabr | April 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I too have made the African Peanut Soup. Yummy. I made it for our January Soup Cooking Club.

Posted by: Dave' The Soup Nut | January 2, 2019 at 01:16 PM

I looked for nut soups on line as a way to boost protein in soups.
I also use seeds, pumpkin, sunflower, etc, whole cooked in the stock or blended would work too. I like the texture of the different ingredients aa well as tastes being defined better when not blended. Sometimes I partially blend an ingredient, like half the carrots, to give t he stock more body. I am pescatarian, so fussy about the stock.
Dave,the soup nut!