« Cookbook: Soup Bible | Main | Sopa de verduras (vegetable soup) recipe »

January 28, 2012

Seven soups every Saturday: breakfast soup recipes

Changua

When Soup-a-Woman, a Twitter friend and new blogger, challenged me to share breakfast soup recipes for the Saturday soup round-up, I knew right away where to look for them: in my memory of our first morning in Vietnam, eating pho while sitting on tiny plastic stools at a sidewalk cafe in Ho Chi Minh City. We've started our days with bowls of miso soup in Japan, too. Yet, for some reason, we tend not to have soup for breakfast when we're at home. For the life of me, I can't imagine why not.

Seven breakfast soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Tunisian chickpea soup (leblebi), from The Well-Seasoned Cook

Changua (Colombian egg and milk soup), from My Colombian Recipes

Finnish fruit soup, from She's in the Kitchen

Farmstand apple soup, from Inn Cuisine

Macaroni soup with ham (Hong Kong style breakfast), from Christine's Recipes

Pho ga (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup), from No Recipes

Jook: The next best thing to a hug from a Chinese mama, from Rants and Craves

Find more delicious breakfast soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of Changua by, and used with permission from, My Colombian Recipes.]

Comments

Posted by: susan g | January 28, 2012 at 09:20 AM

This is a real wake-up post, Lydia. Needs more thinking at my end.... I love the point of view, just have to get my head around it. Funny how we can know the concept, especially the miso soup, and not incorporate it into our daily practice.

Posted by: Soup-a-Woman | January 28, 2012 at 09:26 AM

Amazing! You killed the challenge. :) We're having our soup swap today and I guarantee I'll be eating some soup for breakfast!

Posted by: Jeanette | January 28, 2012 at 09:47 AM

It is interesting that so many countries eat soup for breakfast, but that people in the US don't think of it. I used to make miso soup for my kids served with a scoop of rice for breakfast as well as congee. I would love pho for breakfast everyday.

Posted by: Marcia | January 28, 2012 at 03:24 PM

Once again you divined my thoughts....just yesterday I was thinking about the congee we had in China. There were variations depending on where we were. One, with spinach (I think it was spinach) was especially delicious. Your post encourages me to try these soups; oatmeal is getting a bit boring!

Posted by: pam | January 28, 2012 at 09:34 PM

I have never had soup for breakfast. It is interesting that it is common in other countries, but not here.

Posted by: Lydia | January 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Susan, this has made me think about miso soup, specifically, as well. I love having it for breakfast, but at home, I never do.

Soup-a-Woman, can't wait to hear about your Soup Swap.

Jeanette, I wonder why we don't have soup for breakfast in this country, especially when it's so easy to make ahead and have it hot and ready in the morning.

Marcia, I've never been a fan of congee, but I almost always have some sort of soup in my refrigerator, and I'm going to start considering it as a breakfast option more often.

Pam, I agree, and I think we should start some sort of a soup-for-breakfast movement here. It's so healthy.

Posted by: dadolwch | January 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I often crave soup for breakfast, especially hot and spicy kinds. But I can never convince my partner that crazy-hot pho ga is an acceptable alternative to eggs and toast. Thanks for the recipes, I'm definitely going to try several.

Posted by: Lydia | January 31, 2012 at 02:50 PM

Dadolwch, I'd go for hot and spicy soups in the morning, too. In any other culture, we would have lots of options for soup breakfasts.

Posted by: jacqueline pruskin | March 16, 2015 at 04:13 PM

I would like to find a really authentic recipe for fish congee with ginger. Perfect for breakfast.