« Apple pie soup recipe | Main | Creamy cream-free broccoli soup recipe »

December 31, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: soup recipes to start the new year

Fishtureen

Every Saturday for nearly two years, I've been cruising around the Internet, looking at seven soups that have something in common. This week, no connective tissue. Seven soups I want to make in 2012, that's the common theme. Please share your own soups-to-try list in the comments, or suggest soup ideas -- hot, cold, sweet, spicy, green, brown, or a particular ingredient -- I haven't yet made on Soup Chick that you'd like to find here. I'm planning to use my small slow cookers more often, and -- gasp! -- I'm also working up the courage to purchase my very first pressure cooker, so feel free to request recipes made in those gizmos, too. Wishing you all the very best of new years, with thanks for spending time here and sharing your soup love.

Seven soup recipes I'd like to try in the new year caught my eye this week:

Roasted tomatillo soup with chicken (sopa verdo con pollo), from Andrea Meyers

Albondigas soup, from Simply Recipes

Roast beet soup with dukkah and yogurt, from The Stone Soup

Japanese miso ramen noodle soup, from Steamy Kitchen

Nutty vanilla sweet potato and kale soup, from Kath Eats Real Food

Kale soup with potatoes, farro and and chili, from White on Rice Couple

Leek soup with dill oil, from 101 Cookbooks

Your turn. What soups would you like to try? What shall we try together?

Comments

Posted by: Jeanette | December 31, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Looking forward to making lots of soup this winter. That Kale soup with potatoes, farro and and chili is calling my name. Reminds me of an arugula potato soup I make, just have to dig out some farro. Lentil soup is on my list to make too.

Posted by: Judith - Texas | December 31, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the soup recommendations in 2011 - looking forward to more this coming year.
Being a Pisces, I love the fish tureen...where did you purchase it? Thanks.
Happy New Year!!!

Posted by: Anna C | December 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Always on the lookout for recipes that use whole grains, legumes and greens. I'm not much for the more exotic flavors but like simple and healthy ingredients. Specifically, I haven't been completely in love with our current lentil, split pea and barley soup recipes so I would love to find some that I like better.

Posted by: Soup-a-Woman | December 31, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I'm starting the New Year with a Hoppin' John soup - my first time working with blackeyed peas since I'm a Northwest kind of gal.

I'm always looking for soups that have kale in them (LOVE kale) and also soups that are high in protein. I love that albondigas soup - wouldn't a series of soups that have meatballs in them be amazing?

Posted by: Louise | December 31, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The theme of what you want to try soon or what caught your eye is sometimes all the theme that is needed. You've covered my favorites and then some over the past year so I have no suggestions, except to say that more slow-cooker recipes would be terrific. I always look forward to your Saturday posting to see what new twist on an old favorite you've found.

Posted by: Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | December 31, 2011 at 01:19 PM

Jeanette, kale with arugula sounds great, too. I'm committed to eating more dark greens this year, so they'll surely show up in my soups!

Judith, the fish tureen (which is tiny, and holds just enough for 2-3 servings) was an Etsy find a few years ago, when I was searching for a "mascot" for Soup Chick.

Anna, more greens are on the way. More lentils, barley and beans, too.

Sooup-a-Woman, what's more appropriate for the new year than black-eyed peas? After all, eating them on New Year's Day is supposed to bring good luck for the year!

Louise, I'm interested in using my slow-cookers more, so I promise more soup recipes, especially ones for the smaller 3- and 4-quart sizes that are so inexpensive in the discount stores.

Posted by: Jan | December 31, 2011 at 04:19 PM

I've enjoyed several of your suggestions over the year. I tried the Nutty Sweet Potato and Kale Soup - and it is delicious! Even better is the aroma while it is cooking.
I agree that more slow cooker recipes would be nice - and I don't think I've encountered a barley or bean recipe that didn't become an instant favorite.

Posted by: susan g | December 31, 2011 at 04:23 PM

This is a winterish list, so maybe another list per season, or at least for the summer solstice. ...and yes for pressure cookers. I now treasure it as my bean factory, but would love some soup direction. (Don't miss the Lorna Sass books.) ...beets, dukkah, yogurt --I'm looking at that now!
Thanks for another year of good soup, Lydia.

Posted by: Lydia | December 31, 2011 at 08:36 PM

Jan, more slow cooker recipes are on the way!

Susan, I'll remember this in the spring and do more of my own soup-to-do lists on a seasonal basis. Thanks for the idea.

Posted by: pam | December 31, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I love my pressure cooker!!!

Happy New Year!

Posted by: Shirley @ gfe | December 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM

You can probably guess what type of soups I'm looking for, Lydia ... naturally gluten free soups or easily adaptable. But honestly, most of yours are already that way. ;-) I like basic soups that have fresh and creative ingredients or simple flavors. :-) Soup Chick is wonderful!

Happy New Year!
Shirley

Posted by: Lydia | January 1, 2012 at 07:06 PM

Pam, I'll be asking you for recipes when I buy my first-ever pressure cooker.

Shirley, I'm mindful of the interest in gluten-free, and looking forward to learning more and sharing more recipes. Thanks for your kind words.

Posted by: Jen | January 1, 2012 at 07:09 PM

I love corn soup with lemongrass and also soups that have some exotic flavors i.e Indian coconut soup with butternut squash. When I get homesick I often think about the lentil soup my mom used to make or the cold bluberry soup my grandma made me in the summer.

Cannot wait to see other recipes. Happy New Year!

Posted by: Teresa in North Carolina | January 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Your "theme" this week looks promising! I need to try albondigas soup finally. Made split pea soup with smoked turkey last week and potato soup today - both yummy, nothing fancy. My aim for 2012 is to cook different lentils other than the plain brown ones that end up tasting like mud to me. I had a vegetarian lentil dish at Christmas that was pretty good - not a bit muddy!