« Recipe for vegan roasted sweet potato and corn chowder | Main | Apple pie soup recipe »

December 24, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: restaurant favorite Chinese soup recipes

Chinesedumplingsoup

Where I come from -- culturally and geographically -- on Christmas, everyone went out for Chinese food and a movie, and despite the fact that my own household celebrates all holidays, there's a part of me that will forever associate Christmas with wonton soup and shrimp lo mein. The restaurant in our New Jersey suburban town specialized in the big three Chinese-American soup favorites -- wonton, egg drop, and hot and sour -- but even after we moved to the suburbs, we often drove to New York's Chinatown, with its expansive soup options.

Seven restaurant favorite Chinese soup recipes caught my eye, and tugged at my memories, this week:

Chinese hot and sour soup, from Simply Recipes

Wonton soup, from Rasa Malaysia

Egg drop soup, from gimme some oven

Hong Kong-style wonton noodle soup, from Appetite for China

Slow cooker hot and sour soup, from A Year of Slow Cooking

Gluten free simple egg drop soup, from Ginger Lemon Girl

Wonton soup, from House of Annie

Find more delicious restaurant favorite Chinese soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Comments

Posted by: Teresa in North Carolina | December 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Yum! Wish I had time to make wontons this weekend. I always make or buy egg drop soup when it gets really cold or when I feel a head cold coming on. Nothing warms me up like egg drop soup....not even hot tea or cocoa.

Posted by: Satonahat | December 24, 2011 at 03:22 PM

Wonderful - Merry Christmas

Posted by: Lydia | December 24, 2011 at 03:46 PM

Teresa, egg drop is my "chicken soup" of choice, too, though when I'm really stuffed up, I go for hot and sour soup, the hotter the better.

Satonahat, wish we were in Boston and closer to those Chinatown restaurants! Happy holidays to you too.

Posted by: Elle Hyson | December 24, 2011 at 04:45 PM

Happy holidays to you, Lydia, and to all your other faithful readers. I am glad to be able to add the Chinese soups to my collection as it is finally winter in Raleigh, NC altho it was 70 earlier in the week.

All the best

Posted by: pam | December 24, 2011 at 09:27 PM

Happy Holidays Lydia!!!

Posted by: Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | December 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Elle and Pam, thank you so much, and happy holidays to you!

Posted by: Alyssa @ Everyday Maven | December 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM

So true! I come from the same cultural and geographical area and now that I live all the way across the country, this post was just what I needed to remind me of this sense of home. I would love some delicious hot and sour soup right now! Happy Holidays :)

Posted by: Lydia | December 25, 2011 at 07:43 AM

Alyssa, it's a wonderful tradition and one that always brings me back to childhood. (Hot and sour is my favorite, too.)

Posted by: CJ McD | December 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

What a delicious round up. Hope you're having a fabulous holiday season.

Posted by: Lydia | December 26, 2011 at 05:24 PM

CJ, thanks so much. Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season, too.