« Recipe for Thai chicken red curry coconut soup | Main | Korean-style black bean soup recipe »

October 29, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: vegetarian vegetable soup recipes

Roasted autumn vegetable soup, a vegetarian treat from Pinch My Salt.

If I had to eat just one soup for the rest of my life, it would be some sort of Chinese chicken noodle soup. Or tomato soup. Or New England clam chowder. Soup is often about craving, isn't it? As much as I love soups with a bit of protein, I also crave the fresh flavors of vegetable soups, the vegetarian ones without chicken or clams or beef. Go have a field day at your farmers market or local farm stand, or if you're lucky enough to have a garden, pick what you have and toss it into a pot. Combine with abandon, and season generously. Be fearless, and you will surely invent a wonderful vegetable soup.

Seven vegetarian vegetable soups caught my eye this week (some are vegan, too):

Roasted autumn vegetable chowder, from Pinch My Salt

Low fat vegetable soup, from Kitchen Parade

Vegan mulligatawny detox soup, from Gluten-Free Goddess

Kale and roasted vegetable soup, from Simply Recipes

Vegetarian French onion soup, from Andrea Meyers

Indian mixed vegetable soup, from Lisa's Kitchen

Vegetarian mosh awa (Afghani vegetable soup), from Aayi's Recipes

Find more delicious vegetarian vegetable soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of roasted autumn vegetable chowder by, and used by permission of, Pinch My Salt.]

Comments

Posted by: Kalyn | October 29, 2011 at 08:55 AM

They all sound good but I think my first one to try would be the Indian Mixed-Vegetable soup. Intrigued by the idea of a vegetable soup that's Indian.

Posted by: Shirley @ gfe | October 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Hmmm, I'm thinking that Andrea's French Onion soup would be awesome! Isn't it funny that vegetable soups are not necessarily vegetarian? Mine rarely are, but it sounds funny that you have to look for that combo. ;-)

Shirley

Posted by: Nicole | October 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Thanks for the link to my chowder. Off to check out the others now :-)

Posted by: pam | October 29, 2011 at 03:51 PM

I almost always put a little meat in my soup, but some of these sound really good!

Posted by: Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | October 29, 2011 at 05:23 PM

Kalyn, I think 2012 will be the year I learn more about Indian cooking. (Of course, I think I said that last year, too.)

Shirley, I often substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth because I prefer the taste, and that makes many of my own vegetable soups non-vegetarian.

Nicole, love your chowder!

Pam, I don't always use meat, but often use chicken stock.

Posted by: Jeanette | October 30, 2011 at 09:38 AM

The Afghani vegetable soup sounds intriguing - that's a cuisine I know nothing about and would love to try.

Posted by: kitchenroach | October 30, 2011 at 06:08 PM

I often can't get lemon grass here in Alaska, thanks for the hint using lime zest.

Posted by: Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | October 30, 2011 at 09:57 PM

Jeanette, I've only had Afghani food a few times, but I love it, especially the way they use spices. The soup really appeals to me, too.

Kitchenroach, I started growing lemongrass in my garden a few years ago, so I'm using it more often. At the moment, it's buried under inches of October snow, but I hope I can harvest more this week when the snow melts.