« Recipe for curry noodle soup with tofu | Main | Recipe for soupe au pistou »

May 28, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: South American soup recipes

Ajiaco

I know what you're thinking. South America: so many national and regional culinary identities, how can you lump the entire continent into one post? Certain staple ingredients -- corn, potatoes, chicken, garlic, fish, yuca -- define many of the cuisines of South American countries, and it's fun to take a look at those ingredients interpreted in different ways.

Seven South American soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Encebollado de pescado/Ecuadorian fresh tuna soup with pickled onions, from Laylita's Recipes

Changua (Colombian egg and milk soup), from My Colombian Recipes

Ajiaco Bogotano, from Andrea Meyers

Parihuela (Peruvian seafood soup), from Fruitcake or Nuts

Cazuela de ave (Chilean chicken soup), from Fresh Approach Cooking

Brazilian black bean soup, from The Taste Space

Sopa de sorrel, from From Argentina with Love

Find more delicious South American soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of Ajiaco Bogotano by, and used with permission from, Andrea Meyers.]

Comments

Posted by: Maris (In Good Taste) | May 28, 2011 at 06:22 AM

Very interesting array of soups. The one you pictured is presented so beautifully. Have a nice holiday weekend!

Posted by: janet | May 28, 2011 at 07:43 AM

I love how exciting soup can be! Thanks for including me in your tasty round-up! :)

Posted by: Amy | May 28, 2011 at 07:45 AM

These are some really interesting soups!

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | May 28, 2011 at 09:27 AM

What an interesting collection of soup recipes. I definitely don't know much about South American cooking compared to other parts of the world.

Posted by: Susie Bee on Maui | May 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM

We had some delicious soups when we visited Chile and Argentina last year. Thanks for the nice roundup and memories!

Posted by: Lydia | May 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Maris, many thanks to Andrea for sharing her photo for a favorite Colombian soup.

Janet, I agree -- soup is a great way to explore the world.

Amy, I'm so glad you think so. I hope you'll find a few to try.

Kalyn, I haven't traveled very much in South America, but I'm fortunate to have learned a few recipes from friends from Guyana and Brazil.

Susie, would love to share some of your recipes!

Posted by: Beth | July 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi Lydia, I love this blog! I've never been good at making soup, but I'm working on it because I believe it's important. I'm wondering if you've ever tried the Bolivian "sopa de mani" (peanut soup)? It's absolutely amazing! Not that I've ever made it, but I've eaten it and funny enough, it doesn't really taste like peanuts. It would be a great addition here!
Beth