« Seven soups every Saturday: matzoh ball soup recipes | Main | Soup humor: "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup" »

April 18, 2011

Cookbook: New England Soup Factory Cookbook

New england soup factory cookbook

Every good soup tells a story. Maybe it's the soup your grandmother made whenever you were sick, or the soup you invented for your wife before you proposed. Maybe the soup was an accident, when something unintended fell into the soup pot, or maybe it's the first soup your child would actually eat without making a fuss. Behind the recipes in the New England Soup Factory Cookbook is the best kind of story: the story of two culinary students who met while on a college internship at a Florida resort in 1983. They've been partners in love and business ever since.

My introduction to the restaurants owned by Marjorie and Paul Druker came not from dining out, but from reading in. The recipes in the New England Soup Factory Cookbook whetted my appetite for a visit to the restaurant, around the corner from my dentist's office in Brookline, Massachusetts. The cookbook features the same seasonal, whole-food recipes served in the restaurants with clear instructions and beautiful color photographs accompanying each recipe.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes, but as always, my book is full of stickies and I can't decide where to start. Will you help? Here are some of the recipes that jumped out at me:

• Spinach, feta cheese, and toasted pine nut soup: like spanikopita in a bowl!
  • Manhattan clam chowder: yes, the red stuff, with clams and vegetables in a spicy tomato broth.
  • Sweet and sour cabbage soup with dill: plus, raisins, a bit of sugar, and caraway.
  • Italian vegetable soup: a traditional recipe with tomatoes, chickpeas and rice.
  • Classic lobster bisque: lobster, potatoes, cream. Like the name says: classic.
  • Asparagus, potato and herb soup: in honor of the season. An unexpected ingredient, fennel, makes this sound very interesting.

Please leave your choice in the comments, and I'll get to work.

The New England Soup Factory Cookbook makes a great addition to any soup lover's cookbook library. You don't even have to be from New England to love it.

Comments

Posted by: Louise | April 18, 2011 at 02:54 PM

have to go with Classic Lobster Bisque as my #1 choice and #2 the Asparagus, Potato and Herb Soup -

Posted by: Alanna | April 18, 2011 at 03:57 PM

Asparagus with Fennel - love that idea!

Posted by: Christine Wendel Farrugia | April 18, 2011 at 04:04 PM

The spanikopita in a bowl for sure!...and the asparagus 'cause of the fennel. Ohhh la la.

Posted by: janet | April 18, 2011 at 07:07 PM

I have this cookbook too but have yet to make anything from it. Let me know what works out well! My vote would be for the Sweet and sour cabbage soup with dill.

Posted by: Alyce Morgan | April 18, 2011 at 09:26 PM

I like the asparagus, potato and herb w/ fennel. Have fun!

Posted by: Nora Almond | April 19, 2011 at 05:44 AM

Another vote for asparagus (in season!)

Posted by: Lu Hamlin | April 19, 2011 at 05:48 AM

I have this book also, and have not cooked any soups from it yet, but I think the sweet and sour cabbage would be my first chice and the Manhattan Clam Chowder my second choice.

Posted by: Susan H | April 19, 2011 at 07:27 AM

I think that the "Italian vegetable soup" would be a great place to start followed by the "Asparagus, potato, herb and fennel soup". Actually, what is the LIGHTEST sounding soup that would be fit for a spring day?

Posted by: Cheryl Ramos | April 19, 2011 at 08:34 AM

Asparagus, potato and herb soup please! Can't wait.

Posted by: renee redding | April 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

My vote is for the Asparagus, potato, and herb soup because the asparagus is in season now so that's the perfect start.

Posted by: Christy Turnipseed | April 19, 2011 at 03:33 PM

I have this cookbook and it's one of my staples and I have about made half of her soups (excluding the cold soups) and the tomato, basil and corn is great in the summer time with fresh corn and tomatoes from our farmers market, and I always make the potato leek which is just so comforting on cold nights. I haven't tried the Asparagus but now that you mention it, it might be my next try! Also the Bing cherry chicken salad is always a favorite for showers, picnics, etc.

Posted by: N Shah | April 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Spinach feta, Italian vegetable and Asparagus is my choice. By the way thank you for introducing me to Love Soup. I love the book and have tried a couple of soups which even my daughter enjoyed.

Posted by: Ann D. | April 20, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Erm, kinda hard to pick one! I'd really like to see more about the sweet & sour cabbage soup, so I'll vote for that one as first. My second choice would be the spinach, feta & pine nut soup -- sounds very interesting!

Posted by: Teresa | April 21, 2011 at 08:49 AM

My taste buds perked up with the Manhattan Clam Chowder!

Posted by: Kato | January 11, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Does it contain the recipe for their Skinny Vegetable soup? Which is my favorite!!