« Quick and easy chicken alphabet soup recipe | Main | Recipe for red pepper soup with lime »

March 12, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: mushroom soup recipes

Mushrooms

Here in Rhode Island, it's still very much winter, and it's also a little bit Spring. I need a break from root vegetables, but there's nothing local and green upon which to build a soup. Sometimes brothy, sometimes creamy, sometimes rustic, sometimes elegant, mushroom soup straddles the seasons. I always have a jar of dried mushrooms in the pantry, and even when I use fresh ones in a soup, I grind up a tiny bit of the dried and add it to enrich the broth.

Seven mushroom soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Cream of wild mushroom soup, from Simply Recipes

Wild rice and portobello mushroom soup, from Lisa's Kitchen

Creamless mushroom soup, from Pino Luongo

Mushroom soup (sopa de champiñones), from My Colombian Recipes

Double mushroom soup (inspired by Anthony Bourdain's mushroom soup), from Kalyn's Kitchen

Mixed mushroom soup, from 101 Cookbooks

Porcini barley soup, from Sassy Radish

Find more delicious mushroom soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: Lu Hamlin | March 12, 2011 at 05:09 AM

Friday nights I always stay up late to read your 7 soups' post before going to sleep. This week, you outdid yourself. The mushroom soups look so wonderful, and I can't wait to try them all.

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | March 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Homemade mushroom soup is one of my favorite things in the world, which is odd because I never much liked the canned mushroom soup my mother served us.

Posted by: Lydia | March 12, 2011 at 02:41 PM

Lu, thank you so much! I hope that following the "seven soups" feature is a great way to start the weekend.

Kalyn, I never liked the cream of mushroom soup from a can, though it found its way into so many casseroles that there's probably nobody who didn't eat it when they were young. To me that canned soup says "tuna noodle casserole".

Posted by: Teresa in North Carolina | March 12, 2011 at 03:22 PM

Good tip on grinding up the dried mushrooms to add to the broth! I've got a nice package of dried wild mushrooms someone gave me....I need to use those up. Maybe a mushroom soup? (Can't believe I just wrote that as I am not a mushroom fan, but I am trying to use them more often.)

Posted by: Molly | March 14, 2011 at 09:42 AM

I love mushroom soup! It's one of those dishes that can be super rich and tasty without any cream. Yum!

Posted by: Lydia | March 14, 2011 at 01:04 PM

Teresa, why not use those mushrooms to enrich a vegetable or beef stock instead of making mushrooms the focus of the soup? It will add depth but not specifically a mushroom flavor.

Molly, I'm partial to mushroom soups, too.