« Sometimes, soup can make you laugh. | Main | Recipe for curried parsnip, carrot and potato soup with coconut milk »

March 5, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: asparagus soup recipes

Asparagus tips

I'm rushing things. I know. Daylight Savings Time doesn't arrive for another week, Spring won't be here for two more weeks, and local asparagus won't appear in the markets here in Rhode Island for another two months. However, it has been a bleak winter, and I've had my fill of root vegetables, and somewhere in the world, someone is making soup with fresh, local asparagus right this minute. So these asparagus soup recipes are for that person -- and for me, my friends, my neighbors, my readers, and all of us who crave the green of Spring.

Seven asparagus soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Chinese crab and asparagus soup, from Indonesia Eats

Roasted asparagus soup, from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Creamy asparagus soup, from Kalofagas

Asparagus soup with herbed goat cheese, from Confections of a Foodie Bride

Spring pea and asparagus soup, from Columbus Foodie

Asparagus, leeks and rice soup, from Kayotic Kitchen

Asparagus soup with spring herb gremolata, from Turntable Kitchen

Find more delicious asparagus soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: Judy Schatz | March 5, 2011 at 08:11 AM

Lydia, what a cheering thought! I didn't realize that we were so close to Daylight Savings Time. Your photograph is beautiful - I love all the colors - like an Impressionist painting!

Posted by: susan g | March 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Well, I've been looking at the asparagus in the supermarket. I wonder if that is one of the few vegetables that does not suffer from long journeys to the store? or not as much?

Posted by: gloria of Veghead etc. | March 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for being so generous and thinking of us who already have asparagus coming to the farmers' market (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and asparagus, along with green garlic, hit the market two weeks ago--a sure sign of spring). I hadn't thought of putting the lovely green spears in a soup (I like them roasted in my toaster oven), but now I will! I especially like that so many of your choices are vegetarian. Again, thanks.

Posted by: Wendy Hanson | March 5, 2011 at 01:52 PM

I do not want to make you East Coasters feel bad but in the Farmers Market in Oakland CA there is fresh asparagus. I am mad I didn't read Lydia's newsletter before going....I didn't buy any. How sad. I will go tomorrow...there is a lovely market at Jack London Square. Spring is coming East soon!

Posted by: Louise | March 5, 2011 at 02:34 PM

In my mind, it's never too soon to roll out the welcome mat for spring. These look great! I'll be ready when the asparagus rolls in to my local market.

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | March 5, 2011 at 09:10 PM

I can't quite believe it myself, but I have never made (or even eaten) asparagus soup. This must be the year that changes!

Posted by: pam | March 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Asparagus. One of my favorite things about spring.

Posted by: Lydia | March 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Judy, I actually took this photo a year ago, when I came home from our local asparagus farm with spears that were picked that morning. (And hooray for Daylight Savings Time!)

Susan, I confess that I buy out-of-season asparagus, because I absolutely cannot resist.

Gloria, Wendy: I'm (asparagus) green with envy!

Louise, I'll be posted many more asparagus recipes here and on The Perfect Pantry. The growing season is short, and I like to eat asparagus as often as possible.

Kalyn, it's possible to make delicious asparagus soup without either butter or cream. I really prefer it that way, especially when I have farm-fresh asparagus with its own bright flavor.

Pam, same here.