« Tools of the soup maker's trade: Dutch ovens | Main | Recipe for mulligatawny soup with chicken »

September 25, 2010

Seven soups every Saturday: pasta soup recipes

Seven soup bowls in (mostly) blues

Like many people who grew up in the age of convenience foods, my first taste of soup made with pasta came in a can with a red-and-white label. My mother was not a soup maven, though she did make a pretty good chicken soup with matzoh balls. I never really mastered matzoh balls, but I love to make soups with pasta. A handful here or there, chunky noodles or twisty, shells or spaghetti broken into little pieces -- all turn a thin broth into a substantial meal. I keep a large jar in my pantry for leftover dried pasta; whenever I have a little bit extra from a recipe, I toss it into the jar, all shapes and sizes mixed together. When I make soup, I grab a handful and add it to the soup pot.

Seven pasta soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Mediterranean chicken, bean and pasta soup, from Cookin' Canuck

Crockpot pasta fagioli, from A Year of Slow Cooking

Sardinian mussel and pasta soup, from Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

Chickpea and pasta soup, from The Well-Seasoned Cook

Beef Florentine pasta soup with basil and cream, from Picky Palate

Rapini and pasta soup, from She's in the Kitchen

Chicken noodle soup (sopa de pollo y pasta), from My Colombian Recipes

Find more delicious pasta soup recipes with Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

----------

A food writer and soon-to-be-author of two cookbooks, Susan shares healthy recipes featuring the bounty of Southern California produce on her blog, Food Blogga. In today's photo, she shares seven favorite soup bowls in (mostly) blues and greens.

If you'd like to share photos of seven soup bowls from your kitchen -- or from a friend's house, or your parents' attic, or an antique shop, or a housewares store, or a school or restaurant -- I'd love to share those photos on Saturdays.

It's easy: send one photo, of seven soup bowls or soup mugs. The bowls must all be able to be used for eating soup, and they absolutely do not have to match. Send the largest file your camera will allow; I'll size it to fit. Make sure the photo is in focus (very important). Tell me whose bowls are in the photo, or where you took the picture. If you're a blogger, I'll link to your blog.

That's it. One photo, seven soup bowls. Email to lydia AT ninecooks DOT com.

Comments

Posted by: candy Nartonis | September 25, 2010 at 05:49 AM

Lydia, I just noticed the categories to the left. They are very helpful for quick ideas on a hurried night. I am almost always hurried because I am almost always hungry when I get to the kitchen!

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | September 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Interesting soup ideas. My first taste of pasta soup was my mother's homemade chicken noodle, but we had plenty of it in the red and white can too.

Posted by: Cookin' Canuck | September 25, 2010 at 05:13 PM

Pasta soup recipes are so comforting and, as you mentioned, very easy to throw together. They are a staple in our household and we are always sure to have a stock of frozen soup in our freezer.

Posted by: Lydia | September 25, 2010 at 08:35 PM

Candy, so glad you're finding the categories helpful. You can also use the search box in the right column to find soups with a particular ingredient.

Kalyn, there's nothing more comforting than good old chicken noodle soup. My mother never made it from scratch, though.

Cookin' Canuck, I definitely have to get going on stocking the freezer for winter. I could eat soup every day when the weather's cold.

Posted by: Jeanette | September 26, 2010 at 08:21 AM

What great soup recipes. My kids crave chicken pasta soup when they're not feeling well.

Posted by: Teresa in North Carolina | September 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I love pasta in soup! This simple soup from the Pennsylvania Dutch is one of my favorites and features rivels - sort of pasta "crumbs."

Chicken Corn Soup

"This is a great favorite in the Dutch country. At reunions, church picnics and fire company suppers, while the corn lasts, gallons and gallons of this rich soup are simmered in big iron kettles over open wood fires."

1 stewing hen, about 4 lbs.
4 quarts water
1 onion chopped
10 ears corn
1/2 cup celery, chopped with leaves
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
salt and pepper
rivels

Put cut-up chicken and onion into water and cook slowly until tender; add salt. Remove chicken and cut up meat into small (1-inch) pieces and return to broth, along with corn which has been cut from the cob, the celery and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer.

Rivels:
1 cup flour
a pinch of salt
1 egg
milk (by the tablespoon)

Put flour and salt in a small bowl. Add beaten egg and a little milk to form small crumbs. Drop these into the soup along with the the chopped hard boiled egg. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes (to cook the rivels). Serve hot.

Posted by: Lydia | September 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Jeanette, I still crave chicken noodle soup when I'm not feeling well. I don't know if you ever outgrow that!

Teresa, thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'm not sure I've seen hard-boiled eggs in soup before. And I love the idea of the rivels (like mini dumplings?). Definitely going to try this.

Posted by: Susan | October 3, 2010 at 02:00 PM

How well I know that white/red label. I am glad they never abandoned Camden.

Would love to try my hand at matzoh ball soup someday, a veg version - no schmaltz, but maybe good on its own terms.

Thanks very much for the shout-out, Lydia.

Your Seven Soup Bowl Saturdays sound fun. I plan to participate soon. And if I can ever, *ever* organize my pantry space, I will do same for OPP's. I never forgot your encouragement to join in ages ago.