« Quick and easy roasted red pepper and basil soup recipe | Main | Recipe for paella soup »

June 5, 2010

Seven soups every Saturday: garlic soup recipes

Julia's seven soup bowls

No doubt you've heard of, or tasted, or prepared the famous French dish, chicken with forty cloves of garlic. While it's scary to contemplate that much garlic in one recipe, the reality is the opposite of scary. Garlic mellows with gentle cooking, and rather than overpowering soup, it sweetens the broth and adds depth of flavor. Like garlic bread, garlic soup should be eaten with someone you love. There will be garlic breath, but it will be oh so worth it.

Seven garlic soup recipes caught my eye this week:

44-clove garlic soup, from Smitten Kitchen

Green garlic soup, from Modern Beet

Austrian garlic soup, from Tea & Cookies

Garlic-onion soup, from One Hot Stove

Pinto bean and roasted garlic soup, from What's Cooking? (Yes, it's a bean soup, but with two full heads of garlic, it's most definitely a garlic soup, too.)

Garlic soup with mussels, from The Wednesday Chef

Roasted garlic soup with parmesan and lemon, from Playing House

Find more delicious garlic soup recipes with Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

----------

I found these seven soup bowls, part of a set of twelve, in the Cambridge, Massachusetts kitchen of my friend Julia, who writes the blog Grow. Cook. Eat.

If you'd like to share photos of seven soup bowls from your kitchen -- or from a friend's house, or your parents' attic, or an antique shop, or a housewares store, or a school or restaurant -- I'd love to share those photos on Saturdays.

Here are the ground rules: send one photo, of seven soup bowls. The bowls must all be able to be used for eating soup (no mixing bowls or troughs, please). Send the largest file your camera will allow; I'll size it to fit. Make sure the photo is in focus (very important). Tell me whose bowls are in the photo, or where you took the picture. If you're a blogger, I'll link to your blog.

That's it. One photo, seven soup bowls. Email to lydia AT ninecooks DOT com.

Comments

Posted by: Sandie {Inn Cuisine} | June 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Loving the garlic soup links---yummy delish. Also loving the 7 bowls photo call---great idea, Lydia---I intend to play :)

Posted by: Sandie {Inn Cuisine} | June 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I also wanted to add that Julia's bowls are gorgeous. Do you know if that's a Lenox pattern?

Posted by: Julia | June 5, 2010 at 08:45 AM

Mmm.. garlic soup! The garlic in my garden just shot up the scapes, so the garlic shouldn't be far behind. But I bet a scape pesto would be a fun garnish for garlic soup.

Sandie -- it's not Lenox. I got them at Bloomies: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=197883&CategoryID=8283

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | June 5, 2010 at 09:16 AM

Any soup that had lots of garlic would be a hit with me!

Posted by: Karina | June 5, 2010 at 01:40 PM

Jim Harrison talks about forty clove garlic chicken (a Hazan recipe maybe?). And a soup with forty cloves? Wow. It would cure all ills. Sounds delicious. Great round-up of recipes. Pass the tasting spoon.

Posted by: Amy I. | June 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Hi Lydia, thanks so much for including a link to my garlic soup post! I'm humbled to be in such great company, and my creative juices have definitely started churning again, thinking about a summery version of garlic soup. Cheers!

Posted by: susan g | June 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I think we can give credit to Julia Child for opening the eyes of America to garlic in its subtle form. My mother took to the mashed potatoes with garlic; then there's the garlic soup. Julie in the blog/book didn't seem phased by the role of garlic: there's the generation gap! (Who could resist the name Aigo Bouido?)

Posted by: Monica | September 28, 2010 at 07:31 AM

This is a little late, but I wanted to share a link to my favorite garlic soup. I'm not a soup person normally, but I do find some that I like, and this one I happen to LOVE. This is the only soup I ever ate all the way to the bottom of the bowl.