« Quick and easy Chinese dumpling soup recipe | Main | Welcome to Soup Chick »

February 27, 2010

Seven soups every Saturday: hearty vegetable soup recipes

Seven blue soup bowls

Here in New England, we are still two months away from the lovely green soups of Spring (oh, asparagus! oh, pea shoots!). Our own cellared root vegetables form the backbone of the soups that sustain us through the cold days of March. Roasting coaxes natural sweetness from the vegetables we get from elsewhere, like zucchini and mushrooms. Hearty soups don't have to be calorie-laden and heavy; they just need to have plenty of heart -- and plenty of vegetables.

Seven hearty vegetable soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Tuscan vegetable soup, from Recipe Girl

Low-fat vegetable soup, from Kitchen Parade

Winter greens and root vegetable soup, from Wasabimon

Roasted vegetable chowder, from Gluten-free Goddess

Winter vegetable soup, from In Good Taste

Vegetable soup with orzo, from The Cooking Adventures of Chef Paz

Every-kind-of-vegetable soup with toasted almonds, from City Mama

Find more soup recipes and delicious hearty vegetable soups at Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: Cattle Call Farm | February 27, 2010 at 09:14 AM

Love your recipes. We have been snowed in and when I see your post it gives me new ideas. Makes it easier than dragging out all of the cookbooks.

Posted by: Maris | February 28, 2010 at 01:17 PM

Thanks for the shout out about my winter veg soup! It was delish and perfect for the snowy Midwest and East coast winters!

Posted by: Rebecca | March 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Love the photo of the bowls! I know you don't sleep ;) so I won't bother asking how you find time to do it all, congrats on your new blog!

Posted by: Alta | March 2, 2010 at 08:42 AM

I am all about some soup. I posted more soup recipes this fall/winter than I care to admit! ;) LOVE your bowls in your photo. Gorgeous.

Posted by: Lori @ RecipeGirl | March 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for the link love. I just made a soup last weekend that was amazing- an Italian Wedding Soup. Will get it up on the blog in the next couple of weeks. I'm loving your new blog!

Posted by: Lydia | March 2, 2010 at 03:34 PM

Cattle Call Farm, soup and snow really do seem to go together, don't they?

Maris, I think Chicago has Rhode Island beat when it comes to snow and cold weather -- at least this year.

Rebecca, thanks. I'm having lots of fun here at Soup Chick, so it doesn't feel like work at all.

Alta, I'm almost (but not really) embarrassed to think about how many soup bowls I have. I'll just say that many years ago I hosted a soup party for 60 people, and I didn't have to borrow any bowls for it!

Lori, Italian Wedding Soup is very popular here in Rhode Island, which is said to be the most Italian state in the US. I'll watch your blog for the recipe.

Posted by: milton | March 3, 2010 at 07:02 AM

I'm going to give the Vegetable soup with orzo a whirl. Will report back!

Posted by: milton | March 6, 2010 at 06:14 AM

I made the orzo soup last night. Firstly it was very tasty and secondly easy to make. I will definitely make this again. This recipe is a reminder of how amazing and grand simple can be.

Posted by: Milton | March 23, 2010 at 04:40 AM

Yes I know. I should have tried the recent onion or fish soup recipes, but the veg with orzo is so so so good I couldnt resist!! I threw in a few edamame....excellent!