Need more recipe ideas?

« Soup lovers, I'd love to know... | Main | The Saturday Simmer: End-of-summer garden tomato soup recipes »

August 17, 2013

And we're back, almost.

Dutch oven.

Thank you all for letting me know that you're still making soup while I've been on a little break.

For many of you, and for me, too, weekends seem to be the time you get out the soup pot. So, here's my plan.

Starting next month, every Saturday morning (just after midnight East Coast time), I'll share links to soups, stews or chili recipes I think you will enjoy. Those of you who liked Seven soups every Saturday will like the format, and you'll have the recipes in time to plan your weekend cooking. (Remember, you can still check those "seven soups" posts by using the recipe index in the right-hand column.)

Some weeks I might share just a few recipes, and some weeks more, but I promise to try hard to keep it interesting, and to present you with some new ideas to feed your inner "soupie." Each week's links will share a common theme, whether seasonal or focused on a specific ingredient. Please feel free to suggest themes or recipes you'd like to see: either leave a comment below, or write to me directly lydia AT ninecooks DOT com and share your ideas.

If this sounds like fun, and I know it will be fun, I'll see you in a few weeks. Happy August!

Comments

Posted by: J | August 17, 2013 at 09:49 AM

Awesome, I look forward to your new updates. I would especially be fond of and appreciative to see some hearty and rustic Fall soups and stews that can be thrown in the crock pot and served as a main meal with some quick and easy sides if needed to balance things.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | August 17, 2013 at 09:52 AM

J, I promise lots of slow cooker soups and stews (because I love them, too)!

Posted by: Pattyabr | August 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

welcome back

Posted by: Sandy in L.A. | August 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I've recently discovered collard greens and have been searching for soups that incorporate them. If you can find a few that include either collard greens or other greens, that would be my request.

Thanks for such a great blog.

Sandy

Posted by: J | August 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thank you so much dear. I am a soup nut myself. Last winter I was on a mission to make a new soup literally almost every day of the week. I tried SO MANY and always look forward to new ones. I never write my recipes down and just play by my instinct but when I see a tasty recipe I will go with it or jazz it up. I am growing pumpkins and can't wait to use them in some nice soups, stews and chilis. Sandy mentioned collards, I grow those too. They are great to work with especially in some Southern soups and stews with black eyed peas, corn, tomatoes... meat included or meatless but a nice spicy sausage goes well with them or anything ham or bacon related. When I don't use meat but want to trick a hint of that flavor I use spice blends I feel still give it a little of that grab: steak spices, fennel seed, black peppercorns and red pepper flakes. Don't forget the fresh garlic and onions! I don't know what it is but it really hits the spot.

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | August 17, 2013 at 02:15 PM

Sandy, collards -- will do!

Posted by: Linda | August 17, 2013 at 05:34 PM

Is there anything more wonderful to eat than soup? I make it as often as possible, even though I have a husband who, in most cases, is a soup-o-phobe! But, undaunted, I will go on making and creating soup as long as I possibly can! Glad to see you back!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | August 17, 2013 at 05:42 PM

Linda, we definitely need to form a club for women whose husbands don't like soup as much as we do!

Posted by: Donna Amis Davis | August 17, 2013 at 05:46 PM

Looks like our garden is going to be putting out a lot of squash of various varieties, so squash-based soups would be welcome!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | August 17, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Donna, I'll try to get a few in while it's still squash season... and more to come next summer!

Posted by: pam | August 17, 2013 at 09:02 PM

I can't wait!

Pam
Sidewalk Shoes

Posted by: Jeanette | August 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I'm always up for soup, especially in the fall and winter, so looking forward to seeing lots of soup, stew and chili recipes soon!

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | August 18, 2013 at 02:16 PM

Jeanette, I'm glad you feel that way -- I'm always up for soup, too!