E-books for everyone!

« Seven soups every Saturday: soup recipes with ginger | Main | Seven soups every Saturday: asparagus soup recipes »

April 25, 2012

Cookbook: Soup & Bread Cookbook

Soup-and-bread-cookbook

Never underestimate the power of soup: the power to connect, to entertain, to nourish, to sustain. That's the message of the Soup & Bread Cookbook, a collection of recipes and stories by Martha Bayne about the many ways people all around the country use soup to build and strengthen communities, friendships and families. Soup brings people together around art, music, homeland, hunger relief, and just plain fun, but I wouldn't recommend this book to you unless the recipes made me want to pull out the stock pot and cook.

Every recipe has a story behind it; chapters feature Detroit SOUP, which raises money for local arts projects; Ravenswood Community Services' community kitchen and food pantry in Chicago; and Boston-based Food Not Bombs. Dear to my heart is the chapter about Seattle's own Soup Swap, whose founder, Knox Gardner, kindly sent me a complimentary copy of the book a few months ago.

I knew just what to do with it; I donated it to our town library, as a prize for the winner of the library's soup cook-off. And then, of course, I bought another copy of the book for my own library, because there were too many great recipes I wanted to try.

In fact, I can use your help. Which of these recipes shall we make first?

• Chevre bisque, with tomato, basil, and an optional lobster(!) garnish
  • Spicy vegan tortilla soup
  • Roasted onion soup
  • Haitian independence soup, with a whole bunch of cilantro
  • Forty-watt garlic soup, with (you guessed it) forty cloves of garlic
  • Spicy tomato and bacon soup, with garlic croutons

Please leave your vote in the comments, and I'll get to work.

The stories in the Soup & Bread Cookbook will fill your heart, even as the soups are filling your tummies. I wholeheartedly recommend adding this one to your cookbook collection.

[Disclosure: Soup Chick earns a few pennies on books purchased through the Amazon.com links in this post.]

Comments

Posted by: Nupur | April 25, 2012 at 09:44 AM

Mmm- the spicy tortilla soup is my pick. The book sounds so lovely!

Posted by: Kalyn | April 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

They all sound pretty fantastic, but I must vote for the one with lots of cilantro!

Posted by: Louise | April 25, 2012 at 01:19 PM

I just love a good spice soup so the tortilla soup gets my vote.

Posted by: pam | April 25, 2012 at 01:40 PM

Spicy tomato and bacon. I always go for bacon.

Posted by: Elle Hyson | April 25, 2012 at 04:50 PM

I'll go for the Chevre Bisque with Tomato and lobster - mmmmmmm

Posted by: Kate | April 25, 2012 at 06:55 PM

Chevre Bisque, please! Any excuse to have lobster!!!

Posted by: Jessen | April 26, 2012 at 08:02 AM

Roasted Onion soup!!

Posted by: Adele in N. Minn. | April 26, 2012 at 09:10 AM

I vote for the roasted onion, as it is a soup that I have thinking a lot about finding a good recipe!

Posted by: susan g | April 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Sounds like a great list, great book and purpose.
I've been looking for the 'right' tortilla soup, so that's my pick.
How can we get the book?

Posted by: susan g | April 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Now I see, you have a link up. But is there a direct source so more goes to the source?

Posted by: Lydia | April 26, 2012 at 03:32 PM

Susan, I think you'd have to contact the author directly.

Posted by: Pauline | April 26, 2012 at 03:46 PM

Chevre bisque with lobster garnish has my mouth watering.

Posted by: Julikay2u | April 26, 2012 at 04:28 PM

I'd vote for the Tortilla Soup, but my neighbor just gave me 4 POUNDS of bacon he won at a local raffle (yes, I agree; what a great neighbor!), so my vote is for the spicy tomato and bacon soup.

Posted by: Miss Mimi | April 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Oh, let's go with the Chevre-so creamy and luscious and the lobster would make it so very decadent! A large bowl please!