Need more recipe ideas?

« Recipe for chipotle turkey, black bean and corn soup | Main | Recipe for barley and kale soup with garlic chicken sausage and mushrooms »

January 14, 2012

Seven soups every Saturday: Slow cooker soup recipes that freeze well (for Soup Swap)

1-spicy-ground-beef-soup-500x500-kalynskitchen

On National Soup Swap Day (January 21 this year), soup lovers all around the country will share in the fun of drawing numbers and choosing six soups to bring home in exchange for the six quarts of soup they contributed to the swap. Here in Rhode Island, our group of 22 has been testing and planning soup recipes for weeks. If you have a large slow cooker (CrockPot), or two smaller ones, you can make your six quarts of soup with a minimum of fuss and muss. That's what I'm planning to do.

Seven slow cooker soup recipes that freeze well caught my eye this week:

Slow cooker vegetable beef mushroom barley soup, from Simple Nourished Living

Mexican pumpkin soup, from Gluten-free Goddess

Slow cooker peanut soup, from A Veggie Venture

CrockPot black bean soup, from A Year of Slow Cooking

Slow cooker spicy ground beef and bean soup with cabbage and spinach, from Kalyn's Kitchen

Black-eyed pea soup (with ham and chicken), from Gluten-Free Easily

Winter tomato soup for the slow cooker, from One Perfect Bite

Find more delicious slow cooker soup recipes that freeze well on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of slow cooker spicy ground beef and bean soup with cabbage and spinach by, and used with permission from, Kalyn's Kitchen.]

Comments

Posted by: CJ McD | January 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM

These soups are perfect for the work week, when there are never enough hours in the day. Thank you Lydia. They all look scrumptious.

Posted by: Kalyn | January 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I think this post highlights two things people are looking for; great idea for a post!

Posted by: Shirley @ gfe | January 14, 2012 at 03:11 PM

How wonderful to come here for this fantastic soup roundup, Lydia, and find one of my own recipes in the line-up! Thank you so much! Even though I don't have a soup swap planned, I'm getting ready to post a soup recipe now. I can certainly mention the Soup Swap in my post. :-)

Thanks so much!

Posted by: Lydia | January 14, 2012 at 03:16 PM

CJ, I love making soup in the slow cooker, even though I work at home. The post doesn't need to be tended, and still makes the house smell wonderful.

Kalyn, thanks for letting me feature your soup.

Shirley, 'tis the season for soup, and for Soup Swap. Wish you lived closer and could come to ours next week.

Posted by: Jeanette | January 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Loving your Soup Swap collection!

Posted by: Lydia | January 15, 2012 at 06:55 AM

Jeanette, thanks! I wish you lived closer and could come to our Swap next weekend.

Posted by: pattyabr | January 22, 2012 at 02:16 PM

Hi Soup Chick. Thanks for the inspiration for the soup swap. The Fearless Cooking Club also celebrated yesterday http://pattyabrdotcom.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/soup-swap-party/

Posted by: Gail Gottesman | January 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Just found your blog. Love! I was looking for a turkey meatball Italian wedding recipe. I'm soup nuts. Always have been. You are doing a great job w protecting your and others intellectual property. That is what I do unfortunately--I'm an IP paralegal want to be chef foodie. Got 2 teenagers to support though so maybe one day. Anyway looking forward to trying some of your recipes. Being the good Jewish girl that I am --I noticed you don't have a recipe for matzo ball soup (Jewish penicillin)...I will send you one. I'm new to this blogging stuff so forgive me. I also do a lot of non-profit work. You seem really awesome. Glad I found your site. Thanks!
Gail (LA girl originally from Brooklyn)

Posted by: Lydia | January 23, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Patty, our Soup Swap was great fun, despite a snow storm!

Gail, welcome to Soup Chick. I've never had good luck with matzoh balls, so maybe your recipe will work for me!

Posted by: BSL | February 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I have to try the slow cooker peanut soup, it sounds so yummy!