My new e-cookbook!

« Italian wedding soup recipe | Main | Quick and easy hot and sour soup with tofu, shiitake mushrooms and noodles recipe »

October 8, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: winter squash soup recipes

Soup_Mex_spice_squash_beans1

When autumn arrives in Rhode Island, I love to visit Dame Farm, a local farm that has been under the stewardship of the Dame family for more than one hundred years. Out behind the farm stand, huge four-foot-tall bins overflow with a dozen varieties of winter squash: butternut, buttercup, acorn, delicata, blue hubbard, mini hubbard and more. They're almost too beautiful to eat. One of my favorite ways to use winter squash is in soup, especially paired with apples or pears, or a bit of sugar or maple syrup. I tend to make the same soups every year, so this year I've gone looking for new ideas.

Seven winter squash soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Adzuki butternut squash soup, from 101 Cookbooks

Butternut squash soup with mango and toasted coconut, from A Veggie Venture

Autumn harvest soup with butternut squash, kale, and farro or brown rice, from Kalyn's Kitchen

Mexican spiced butternut squash soup with beans and corn, from Andrea Meyers

Rustic three squash soup, from Happy. Healthy. Life.

Spicy pumpkin soup with cilantro pepita pesto, from Pinch My Salt

Acorn squash soup with bacon and squash seeds, from The Cooking Photographer

Find more delicious winter squash soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of Mexican spiced butternut squash soup with beans and corn by, and used with permission from, Andrea Meyers.]

Comments

Posted by: CJMcD | October 8, 2011 at 08:19 AM

"tis te season for beautiful fall soups.

Posted by: Lydia | October 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM

CJ, yes it is. I love the winter squashes -- so sweet.

Posted by: Nicole | October 8, 2011 at 01:07 PM

That acorn squash soup with bacon and squash seeds sounds wonderful!

Posted by: kellypea | October 8, 2011 at 01:14 PM

I'd have a difficult time trying to decide which of these to try first... :) I do have a kabocha squash just waiting for a robust soup, though! Nice selection, Lydia :)

Posted by: Linda | October 8, 2011 at 02:52 PM

Deborah Madison's Winter Squash Soup with Lemongrass and Coconut Milk is just about the best squash soup ever.

Posted by: Elle Hyson | October 8, 2011 at 04:50 PM

Autumn is also in the air here in North Carolina and I have been checking recipes for soups other than the ones we have had over and over again - these sound like a wonderful start.

Posted by: Kathy - Panini Happy | October 8, 2011 at 09:28 PM

I made my first butternut squash soup of the season this week and I'm looking forward to making another (for a lunch I'm hosting) again next week!

Posted by: Andrea Meyers | October 9, 2011 at 08:39 AM

I love squash soups, well just about any soup in the autumn and winter. Thanks for featuring my soup!

Posted by: Jeanette | October 9, 2011 at 03:44 PM

I have a bunch of different winter squashes sitting on my counter, waiting to be turned into soup - all these sound so good, especially the Mexican Spiced Butternut Squash Soup.

Posted by: Chris | October 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I am so excited for fall...thanks for this!

Posted by: Lydia | October 10, 2011 at 09:37 AM

Nicole, I'm itching to try that one, too.

Kellypea, kabocha squash is delicious. Dame Farm, my local farm stand, grows it.

Linda, sounds delicious. And I have lemongrass in my garden.

Elle, I make the same soups over and over, and I hope this list inspires all of us to try something new.

Kathy, if it's butter squash soup season, it must be Fall!

Andrea, thanks for letting me share your soup on this great list.

Jeanette, I have my eye on that recipe, too.

Chris, Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. And though I'm a year-round soup eater, Fall is my favorite time to make soup, too.

Posted by: Teresa | October 10, 2011 at 03:35 PM

I, too, seem to make the same butternut squash soup recipe over and over again! But, gosh darn, it's just so delicious with the tart apples, onions, curry powder, brown sugar, and chicken stock that I haven't found another recipe that tempts me to try instead.