E-books for everyone!

« Recipe for ratatouille soup | Main | How to freeze and reheat soup »

September 10, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: cauliflower soup recipes

Cauliflower soup

Cauliflower and me... well, we have a history, and it's not a happy one. My mother used to come home from work at 3:00, and some time later would set a pot of water to boil. In went the cauliflower, and there it stayed, boiling away, until we sat down to dinner at 6:00. That's a whole lot of boiling, and a whole lot of cauliflower fumes filing the house. Since then, I've never been able to look at a cauliflower without remembering the fumes, and try as I might (which, I admit, isn't trying very hard), I've never been able to eat it. However, I am a soup fan, so I've been thinking that soup just might be the way to change my mind about cauliflower.

Seven cauliflower soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Cauliflower soup, from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Cauliflower soup with parmesan and harissa, from Sassy Radish

Cauliflower soup with bacon, cheddar and chives, from Pinch My Salt

Creamy cauliflower soup with bacon and gorgonzola, from Steamy Kitchen

Roasted cauliflower soup, from Anne's Food

Spicy cauliflower soup, from A Veggie Venture

Curried cauliflower soup, from Family Style Food

Find more delicious cauliflower soup recipes on Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

[Photo of cauliflower soup with bacon, cheddar and chives by, and use with permission from, Pinch My Salt.]

Comments

Posted by: Shirley @ gfe | September 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I've been working on my appreciation for cauliflower, too, Lydia. We never ate it growing up. That might have been a good thing compared to having it overboiled like you did. ;-) If I had to vote for one of these, certainly the bacon and cheese version would be at the top of my list!

Shirley

Posted by: Jeanette | September 10, 2011 at 08:12 AM

Love this collection of cauliflower soups - I've made cream of cauliflower soup (without any cream) and will have to try some of the flavor combinations in these soups you selected. My kids actually love roasted cauliflower and potatoes, just a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until crispy brown on top.

Posted by: Alyce Morgan | September 10, 2011 at 08:24 AM

These sound luscious; I adore cauliflower!! My favorite cauliflower soup (can't remember where the recipe is from--I just make it now) is a basic pureed cauliflower soup w/ chicken broth, onions, garlic, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, etc. that is served with a freshly grilled scallop w/grate of lemon zest- in the middle. It's beautiful in a tiny creamed soup bowl for a first course.

Posted by: Pattyabr | September 10, 2011 at 09:51 AM

I also made a cauliflower soup this week that I got from the Whole Foods website. It was extremely simple and used almond milk which made me so happy because I drink almond milk and had it on hand. It was a curry soup that had no oil in it, onions, garlic, almond milk, curry and cauliflower and spinkled atop with sunflower seeds. It was good but was pretty flavorless so I added salt. I like the curry soup recipe in your list it added an apple which was cool.

I like cauliflower. I consider it to be the healthy version of potatoes. Pureed the consistency can resemble mashed potatoes. Thanks for featuring cauliflower this week I needed more recipes :)

Posted by: Kalyn | September 10, 2011 at 01:21 PM

I love all things cauliflower soup, so I have no idea why I've never made cauliflower soup. Must try one of these.

Posted by: Heidi | September 10, 2011 at 02:07 PM

Even mashing cauliflower makes it taste mild and wonderful. I, too, grew up on stinky boiled cauliflower but now we eat it fairly regularly roasted or mashed and, once the weather breaks, soup. Recently, I baked a casserole of chopped cauliflower and shredded cheddar that was just wonderful. Starting with raw cauliflower means it doesn't get overcooked and stinky.

Posted by: Marcia | September 10, 2011 at 03:15 PM

I note that you haven't committed to making one. I distinctly remember trying to foist a divine cauliflower soup on you.
Didn't work.

Posted by: Linda | September 10, 2011 at 03:51 PM

You might be delighted with the cauliflower and cilantro soup recipe that Sally Sampson has in one of her books,it might be in "Recipes From the Night Kitchen". It turns into a flavor delicious and unrecognizable as cauliflower. Good gateway cauliflower recipe.

Posted by: Debbie Bernstein | September 10, 2011 at 06:07 PM

Don't forget the Roasted Cauliflower and Dill recipe that you posted in 7 dill Saturday back in July. That got my family over the cauliflower phobia quickly. It was quite delish! I think I may try the curry one or even the one with parmesan and harissa. Both seem like contenders for the cauliflower-adverse (a club which my kids are champion members!).

Posted by: Lydia (Soup Chick) | September 10, 2011 at 09:12 PM

Shirley, we have a lot to overcome, don't we?

Jeanette, if my mom had cooked cauliflower like you do, perhaps I'd feel differently about it.

Alyce, your soup sounds delightful.

Pattyabr, hope you'll find some new cauliflower soup variations on this list to add to your repertoire.

Kalyn, this is the year I'd love to learn to love cauliflower. I'm working on it.

Heidi, thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad to know someone has overcome that early aversion to cauliflower!

Marcia, don't give up on me. One of these days, I'm going to find a cauliflower recipe I really like.

Linda, I'm not a cilantro lover, so I don't think that recipe will be my cure. But thanks for letting me know about it.

Debbie, so glad that recipe worked for you! I love curry and love harissa, so perhaps I'll like one of those variations.

Posted by: janet @ the taste space | September 13, 2011 at 08:25 AM

Definitely try roasted cauliflower. Then, it is all about your spices and seasonings. :)