My new e-cookbook!

« Recipe for white lentil and kale soup with (or without) spicy sausage | Main | Quick and easy Thai hot and sour shrimp soup (tom yom koong) recipe »

January 29, 2011

Seven soups every Saturday: gluten-free soup recipes

Blue Polish tureen

Does gluten-free scare you? It scares me, a little bit. I'm not totally versed in GF cooking, but I know that, like people with food allergies, folks who are gluten-intolerant could really be harmed by the addition of an ingredient I don't know contains gluten, and I surely don't want that to happen. If you're setting out to create a gluten-free soup for the first time, start by reading my friend Karina's invaluable "cheat sheet", Gluten-Free Diet ABCs, on Gluten-Free Goddess. Those who eat gluten-free out of necessity or choice, and eat soup out of love, are in luck; many soup recipes are naturally gluten-free, and many more can be made GF with the careful choice of condiments (GF soy sauce, for example), thickeners (potatoes or whole grains instead of flour), toppings and store-bought stock.

Seven gluten-free soup recipes caught my eye this week:

Moroccan coconut and chickpea soup, from Gluten-Free Goddess

Soup au pistou, from 101 Cookbooks

Chicken and wild rice soup, from Gluten-Free Mommy

Gluten-free matzoh ball soup, from Elana's Pantry

Chicken and roasted green chile soup, from The WHOLE Gang

Crab and corn soup Crockpot recipe, from A Year of Slow Cooking

Vegetarian hot and sour soup, from Book of Yum

Find more delicious gluten-free soup recipes with Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: susan g | January 29, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for the support of celiac and gluten-intolerant people, including my husband. We are fortunate that there is so much information and support available. When he was first diagnosed, he was an infant, and in those dark ages, by age 6 he was eating everything again. By the time he reached a crisis, partial restrictions were not enough, so it's important that we do it right. Wonderful new discovery -- a place nearby that has monthly dim sum, with l9 gluten free choices. Soups, always.
And what about that beautiful ?tureen?

Posted by: Lydia | January 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Susan, you're so welcome. I need to post more GF recipes. I bought the tureen many years ago, in a small village in Poland, before Polish pottery became popular in the US. I've never seen a tureen quite like this one, and I'm glad, because it was a bit of a pain to carry all the way home without breaking it!

Posted by: kellypea | January 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Love your new (or maybe I didn't realize you had it?) site & love soup in general. I don't know as much as I probably should about gluten free food, but use references just to be on the safe side. Thanks for sharing the great links :)

Posted by: Wendy @ Celiacs in the House | January 29, 2011 at 01:17 PM

You've linked to some fantastic gluten-free cooks. Thanks so much for your support. Love your Polish Pottery, too.

Posted by: Lydia | January 29, 2011 at 06:42 PM

Kelly, Soup Chick is just about to pass the one-year anniversary, and I'm so glad you found your way here. We have a lot of fun with soup.

Wendy, so many soups are naturally gluten-free. I'm happy to seek out and share. (I love this tureen, too!)

Posted by: CJ McD | January 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Just a "heads up"- the pistou recipe contains "1/4 pound / 4 oz. stellette (tiny star) pasta, or other small pasta".

The recipe in not gluten free as written.

The pasta must be ommitted for the soup to be gluten free.

Posted by: Lydia | January 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, CJ. The headnotes on the recipe explain that the pasta needs to be a gluten-free pasta for those eating gluten-free. There are some good rice pastas on the market now that make many dishes more easily adapted for GF eaters.

Posted by: CJ McD | January 30, 2011 at 03:16 PM

Aha. Well, that explains it. I went straight to the recipe without reading the intro.

Posted by: Lydia | January 30, 2011 at 03:18 PM

CJ, I'm glad you mentioned it, because it reminds all of us to take gluten-free seriously, and also that many recipes can work for GF and non-GF eaters. Thanks.

Posted by: zuzupetals | February 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks so much for including some gluten-free recipes! As one with Celiac, I'm always delighted to see you post dishes that are either naturally gluten-free or are easily adaptable. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Paul | February 1, 2011 at 04:00 PM

Seems to me all of these would be much tastier when prepared in a log house kitchen, but all envy aside thanks for the delicious post!

Posted by: Alta | February 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Yay for gluten-free soups! I am always appreciative of the gluten-free nod. And this is a great roundup!

Posted by: Elva | January 3, 2012 at 04:21 AM

It is nice to see some gluten free recipes here. I like gluten free.