My new e-cookbook!

« How to make beef stock | Main | Recipe for French onion soup »

March 13, 2010

Seven soups every Saturday: lentil soup recipes

Seven brown handled bowls

In the small grocery store in my village, a pound of common brown lentils sells for $1.69. That's twenty percent higher than the larger market ten miles away, but it's still a lot of bang for the buck when you consider that one pound of lentils makes enough soup for a hearty, nutrient-packed meal for four people. And please don't limit yourself to brown lentils. For a few pennies more, you can turn white, black, green or red lentils into fiber-filled, antioxidant-rich, delicious soups with flavor profiles from many cuisines.

Seven interesting lentil soups caught my eye this week:

Algerian lentil soup, from 64 Sq. Ft. Kitchen

Curried lentil soup with Swiss chard, from Eggs on Sunday

Red lentil soup, from Kitchenography

Roasted red pepper, fennel and lentil soup, from Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska

Colombian-style lentil soup, from My Colombian Recipes

White lentil soup with chorizo and paprika cream, from La Tartine Gourmande

Green lentil soup with coconut milk, from Lisa's Kitchen

Find more delicious lentil soups with Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: Milton | March 13, 2010 at 04:39 AM

I'm going to give the colombian a whirl. thanks.

Posted by: Melynda | March 13, 2010 at 08:14 AM

Hi Lydia, I love this new blog. Soup is such a pleasing meal, and leftovers make a wonderful and warming snack on those really cold days.

Posted by: Diana's Cocina | March 13, 2010 at 09:22 AM

This is so much fun! I enjoy seeing what everyone is making.

Posted by: joey | March 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for sharing, Lydia ... I'm a 'soup fanatic' so delighted to find you here :)

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | March 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I love lentil soup! In fact, I'm guessing lentils might be my favorite all time soup ingredient!

Posted by: Louise | March 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Are the different kinds of lentils interchangeable? If you have trouble finding a particular kind, can you substitute one of the others?

Posted by: Teresa in North Carolina | March 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Lydia and all: why do my lentil soups taste "muddy" to me? I like to eat healthy soups with lots of beans and vegetables, but it seems more times than I'd like to count, my lentil soups end up tasting like I threw some dirt clods in the pot. I'm very close to giving up on lentils all together.

Posted by: Amalie A. Aseltine | March 13, 2010 at 06:20 PM

I always like the ceramics that change each week. Any special comments about them, their origin and other particularities would be "lagniappe"! Thanks so much for this incredibly now indispensable blog. Soups, breads, and salads forever.

Posted by: Julie | March 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Wonderful new blog -- and this is such a good idea for a blog subject!

Posted by: Lydia | March 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Milton, I'll look forward to your report (as I always do), as I haven't tried that recipe yet.

Melynda, thanks. And I think soup is perfect for the rainy weather we're having in RI today; in fact, we had onion soup for dinner.

Diana, Joey, Julie: glad you're enjoying it here! Lots more soup to come.

Kalyn, lentils are mighty high on my list, too. Black beans are probably my absolute favorite.

Louise, they're not 100% interchangeable, but lentils of similar shape cook in similar ways (i.e., brown ones and red ones).

Teresa, I know just what you mean about the muddy quality. Lentils do taste a bit "earthy" on their own. When they get overcooked, they can taste a bit muddy; same if they aren't cooked with enough liquid. How about trying different flavor profiles: curried, spicy, tomato-based, etc. Please don't give up; lentils are wonderful.

Amalie, this week's bowls are, from left to right: top left, handmade chowder bowl from Robert Fishman Pottery in RI; two vintage Pyrex soup bowls; center, two handmade bowls from Tom Grabbert pottery in RI; right, two vintage soup bowls.

Posted by: Karina | March 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I love this idea of seven soups on Saturday. I could eat soup every day of the week. Old school comfort food at its best.

Posted by: Catharine | March 14, 2010 at 08:31 AM

The green lentil soup sounds fantastic. Going to make it today!

Posted by: pam | March 14, 2010 at 07:39 PM

I love all your soup bowls/mugs!

Posted by: Lydia | March 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Karina, I love looking for great soup recipes in the food blog world. I could eat soup every day, too (even in summer).

Catharine, I hope it's as delicious as the recipe sounds.

Pam, thanks so much. I'm embarrassed to tell you just how many soup bowls I have, but I'll say that I could host a *very* large soup party!

Posted by: Anne | June 15, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Lydia,I absolutely love red lentil soup, I will be sure to try that one out.