My new e-cookbook!

« Recipe for winter tomato soup | Main | Recipe for cream of broccoli and cheese soup »

March 6, 2010

Seven soups every Saturday: Asian soup recipes

Seven vintage Lipton soup cups

When I was a little girl, Asian soup meant Chinese soup, and that meant wonton soup, one of the "exotic" treats we were allowed on Friday night dinners at the local suburban Chinese restaurant. These days, I've switched allegiances, to hot-and-sour soup and tom yom koong, the fiery Thai shrimp and chile broth that can clear your sinuses from across the room. I'm almost equally in love with miso soup, curried laksa, and Japanese soup noodles.

These seven Asian soups will take your palate on a world tour:

Penang curry mee from Rasa Malaysia

Chinese cellophane noodle soup from Use Real Butter

Tinola: Filipino chicken soup from Burnt Lumpia

Double mushroom miso soup from Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen

Beef pho noodle soup (pho bo) from Viet World Kitchen

Sichuan-style chicken noodle soup from Appetite for China

Tom kha gai (coconut chicken soup) from Amuse Bouche

Find more delicious Asian soups with Food Blog Search. Come back every Saturday for seven soup recipes to enjoy any day of the week.

Comments

Posted by: Cookin' Canuck | March 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The flavors in Asian soups are so enticing to me. The balance of sweet, salty, spicy, and tart satisfies every part of my palate.

Posted by: Alta | March 6, 2010 at 04:45 PM

I love those cups. Where in the world did you get them?

Posted by: Judy | March 6, 2010 at 06:45 PM

These soups sound amazing. Which one to try first . . .

Posted by: pam | March 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Love your cups. And hot and sour and thai tom yum are my favorites.

Posted by: Lydia | March 7, 2010 at 07:44 AM

Cookin' Canuck, Asian soups are an entirely different flavor profile than the soups I grew up with, and I love them for the same reason -- the combination of light and tart and spicy.

Alta, the cups were a promotional item made by Lipton Soup Company in the 1950s. I have collected 30 of them over the years. They were sold in sets of 6, in 6 different colors, though I have 7 different colors. Try eBay.

Judy, that's a tough decision!

Pam, if I had to pick just one Asian soup to have for the rest of my life, it would be tom yom. The spicy tartness just tastes perfect to me.

Posted by: Helen | March 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Wonderful new blog Lydia! I'm a great fan of soup and can't wait to get stuck into these recipes as soon as we get anything approaching soup-weather in my corner of the globe (today it is an unspeakably hot 39C/102F and I can barely move let alone contemplate cooking or eating soup, or anything else). I also love and collect ceramics and it is a treat seeing all your beautiful bowls and containers.

Posted by: Glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com | March 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I l-o-v-e- those retro soup cups! I'm old enough to remember them. ;-) How fun to see them (great photo!). I love hot and sour soups, and anything Thai with coconut milk. Spicy, sweet, salty and sour is my favorite combo.

Posted by: KimC | March 7, 2010 at 06:59 PM

Found you thru Kalyn's Kitchen! Love this!

Posted by: Lydia | March 7, 2010 at 09:43 PM

Helen, I'd love to share some recipes from your part of the world. And I'm always glad to meet another bowl collector.

GlutenFreeGoddess, stay tuned -- there will definitely be hot and sour soups here, because you know how much I love spicy food!

KimC, welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by: SusanV | March 8, 2010 at 09:14 AM

Hi Lydia! What a great idea for a blog! I think I could live off of soup, especially if I could eat it from one of your cool cups. I look forward to checking back often to see what other delicious soups you're serving up.

P.S. Thanks for linking to my miso soup. It's gotten me through a lot of cold, winter nights lately.

Posted by: Diana | March 16, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Hey Lydia! Cute cups! Also love your new banner.

Posted by: Cary | March 21, 2010 at 08:05 AM

Hi Lydia! Am I missing your recipe for tom yom koong?