E-books for everyone!

« Recipe for mango gazpacho soup with shrimp and avocado | Main | Seven soups every Saturday: hearty vegetable soup recipes »

February 25, 2010

Quick and easy Chinese dumpling soup recipe

Chinese dumpling soup

Tucked away in my freezer, a bag of Chinese vegetable dumplings from the local supermarket inspired a quick, easy, and very satisfying soup. If you've made and frozen your own shrimp potstickers, as well as your own rotisserie chicken stock, this soup will come together in minutes. Store bought chicken stock is just fine here, but hold off on adding salt or soy sauce until you've tasted the soup base, and then add seasoning a little at a time.

Quick and easy Chinese dumpling soup

Serves 4 as a main course, 8 as an appetizer.

Ingredients

4 cups chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium store bought (I like Swanson 99%)
1 slice fresh ginger root, 1/4-inch thick, peeled but left whole
2 scallions, sliced
1 Tbsp shao hsing wine (Chinese rice cooking wine)
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
24 frozen Chinese dumplings with filling of your choice (do not defrost)
Hoisin sauce for garnish (optional)

Directions

In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the chicken stock, ginger root, scallions, shao hsing wine and dark soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add frozen dumplings, and when the soup returns to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into serving bowls, and drizzle a bit of hoisin on the dumplings.

Print recipe only.

Comments

Posted by: Andrea Meyers | February 25, 2010 at 07:10 AM

Awesome. This is one of my favorite Asian soups, and we always have some of the Trader Joe's chicken gyoza in the freezer.

Posted by: The Cooking Ninja | February 25, 2010 at 07:54 AM

Now that makes me want to have a bowl of it right now. :) It also makes me want to try another go at making dumplings.

Posted by: susan | February 25, 2010 at 07:58 AM

this sounds perfect, quick and easy! thanks!

Posted by: Teresa | February 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

That looks yummy! Lydia, how did I miss that you started a Soup Blog? I could live off soup, bread, cheese and fruit - easily! I hope you will alert your Perfect Pantry fans to this Soup Chick blog.

Posted by: T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types | February 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM

OK, I'm getting Chinese dumplings to keep in the freezer - this looks mouthwatering!

Posted by: Panya | March 5, 2010 at 08:25 PM

Just made this with vegetable broth and frozen leek dumplings I had leftover from our Chūnjié dinner. So yummy. My husband loved it. I'll have to make sure to keep some dumplings in the freezer so we can have this as a quick dinner.

Posted by: Oksana B | February 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM

just made some dumplings, going to make a soup now!:) thanks for the recipe.

Posted by: Monique Adams | April 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Made this recipe and my husband loved it. So easy! Thanks!!!

Posted by: MOMMY | June 14, 2012 at 03:18 AM

Can I use pork broth instead of chicken broth for my dumpling soup?

Posted by: Lydia | June 14, 2012 at 06:20 AM

Mommy, of course you can!