My new e-cookbook!

Main | Recipe for green split pea soup with challah croutons »

February 14, 2010

How to make soup stock from rotisserie chicken

Rotisseriechickenstock1

Every week I buy a rotisserie chicken at the market. After I've made a few days' worth of sandwiches and salads, I turn the carcass into the world's easiest chicken stock. Lately I've been using my four-quart slow cooker, which makes exactly 1-1/2 quarts of stock. You can make this on the stovetop, too.

Chicken soup stock

Ingredients

1 rotisserie chicken carcass, including any bits of skin and meat still adhering
1 medium onion, not peeled, cut in half
1 stalk of celery, cut in half
1 small carrot, cut in half
12 black peppercorns

Directions

Slow cooker: Place all ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover with water to within 2 inches of the top of the cooker. Cover, set cooker on LOW, and cook for 6 hours.

Stove top: Place all ingredients into a 4- or 5-quart stock pot or Dutch oven. Add 2-1/2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours.

Pass the stock through a fine-mesh strainer, or through a larger strainer lined with cheesecloth, into a container (or into more than one). Cover, and let cool on the counter top. Refrigerate or, if not planning to use within 3 days, put into the freezer.

Whether the stock has been refrigerated until cold, or stored in the freezer, there will be a thin layer of chicken fat that has congealed at the top. Remove that by scraping it off with a spoon before you cook with the stock.

Print recipe only.

Comments

Posted by: Kalynskitchen | February 17, 2010 at 09:53 AM

I love to use rotisserie chicken to make stock too. Such a frugal habit (and I'm not known for my frugal habits so I try to cultivate them when I can!

Posted by: Michelle (What's Cooking) | February 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM

This looks good - and easy! I use my slow cooker to make split pea soup, but would really enjoy using it more often for a variety of other soups. I'll be bookmarking your site so that I can get lots of tasty ideas. And your other post - challah croutons - OMG, delish!

Posted by: Lydia | February 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Kalyn, I'm a recent convert to rotisserie chickens. I always thought they were more expensive, but when I factor in the time and gas/electric costs of roasting my own, they're not expensive at all. And of course, there is soup stock.

Michelle, I promise to showcase more slow cooker soups here. I'm still learning, too.

Posted by: Susan @ SGCC | February 20, 2010 at 09:49 PM

I do the same thing with my rotisserie chickens. We can get a few days of lunches out of one chicken and then get to have a nice pot of soup too!

Love the new site!

Posted by: T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types | February 21, 2010 at 04:32 PM

I've just learned the joys of chicken stock in the pressure cooker. The recipe called for chicken wings, and of course, since I went to buy on Superbowl Sunday, there was not a wing to be found. So I substituted other pieces. The result was still quite good, and fast.

Posted by: Andrea Meyers | February 25, 2010 at 07:23 AM

I agree, rotisserie chickens can be a very good value when you factor in making stock with the carcass. We buy the Wegman's chickens which are made with basic ingredients, not injected with overly salty solutions, and they taste great.

Posted by: Kristen | February 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I just made some yesterday in my crock pot!

Posted by: Kristen | February 27, 2010 at 01:51 PM

Okay, now I made a big pot of chicken soup with my easy stock! DH says it's the best.

Posted by: CJ McD | March 6, 2010 at 12:10 PM

That's one of my tricks too! Love having an exra meal or two plus the convenience of a rotisserie chicken.

BTW- Just discovered your blog via Kalyn's Kitchen and am ejoying it VERY MUCH! Love everything about it.

Posted by: Katherine | June 17, 2010 at 07:27 AM

Great chicken stock recipe. I try to always have frozen stock on hand for making chicken dishes. It beats the bought stock or stock powder flavour and so much healthier too.

Posted by: Jenny | April 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Love this recipe, made it twice now. Thanks so much! I'm so glad I found your blog, now I can make my fiancee some gourmet soup :D

Posted by: han | December 7, 2011 at 08:02 PM

it seem easy to make it.. all ingredients are available here, thanks

Posted by: Diane | January 6, 2012 at 09:53 PM

I love to get rotisserie chickens from Costco, they are always so fresh and Cost about 5 bucks. Bonus is no hormones or antibiotics. I make chicken soup when a lot of meat left on the bones. My 5 year old son loved it. :)

Posted by: Sue | December 20, 2012 at 07:28 PM

This turned out wonderful after all day in the crockpot. I just made egg drop soup with the stock and am in heaven. Have a head cold and this just what I needed! Thanks so much for sharing!